Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Music and Literature

Since I meant to post yesterday but then got distracted by a particular someone (*cough cough Clare cough cough*) and therefore missed Monday, I'll be making both posts tonight. (=  You're welcome.

I've bought 7 CDs in the past 2 days.  Yes, really.  I'll discuss all 7 today plus 2 others.  Sooooo yeah. (=

CD 1:
Tighter: Mindless Self Indulgence

They're... uhm... strange.  Windows Media Player calls it metal, but... uh... yeah.  I don't even really know how to describe it.  How about a little bit of a bio?  Okay.


They're a New York band that started 14 years ago (1997).  According to Wikipedia (which we all know is so desperately reliable): "Their music has a mixed style including punk rock, alternative rock, electronica, techno and industrial. Due to the style of their music lacking a definite genre, they coined the term 'Industrial Jungle Pussy Punk' to describe their music, but later, they denounced the term."

Don't ask me.  Listening to their music, I can detect strains reminiscent of Linkin Park, System of a Down, ICP, and... I don't know.  Something techno-ish?  It's hard to explain.  Quite frankly, I can't even pin down why I like them.  They're interesting. Kind of amusing to listen to.  Really weird... but then, if you look at my other music, I guess it's viable, huh?

Moving along.

CD 2:
Take Action; Vol 10

It's a Various Artists album for the Take Action Tour that takes place every summer and never comes anywhere near me.  Go figure.

Apparently they're raising money for... something... a charity.  I just can't remember which one.  I think it says in the PSA (track 1) but don't quote me on that.

I have Volumes 8, 9, and 10, and so far they've all been excellent. 8 and 10 have been 2 discs but 9 was only one.
And they're cheap!! I paid $7 for Volume 10, and it's got 31 tracks on it!  It's totally worth it.  I love them.
I've been meaning to see if I can find back albums, but so far no luck.  I think they only sell 2 albums at a time: last year's album and this year's. haha.  Ah well.  I'll just collect from Volume 8 on. (=

CD 3:
My Forever: He Is We

AGH! I'm so excited this band got signed. (=  They totally make my day.  She's got this sweet little voice (that isn't all that little) and their melodies are just pretty.  They have a softer sound and aren't really that intense at any point.  The songs are touching and just happy-making.

I whole-heartedly suggest this band.  I also suggest that you go on youtube or PureVolume.com and listen to their older songs.  Especially Radio aaaaaand I Wouldn't Mind.  And all of the rest of them. (=  It's worth your time--promise.

CD 4:
Lovestrong.: Christina Perri

She's pretty.  Straight up.  I'm kinda confused by the tattoos on her arm... like what's with the guy spread-eagled on a grid work... surrounding his limbs...?  I don't know.

Anyway.
Most of this album is kind of acoustic.  It's soft.  Laid back.  Simple, really.  It's got Jar of Hearts on it--I probably wouldn't have bought it without that song, honestly (not as though I couldn't just download it. But you know.)
I don't know.  If you like female vocals and soft(ish) music check her out.  I like it.  It's not my favorite or anything, but it's good.

CD 5:
Beneath It All: Hey Monday

It's their new EP.  New being operative since it's been out for a few months now.  I tried to preorder it but it never showed up. So I don't know what the hell happened, but I'm cranky.

Anyway.  It's good.  Not as good as their album, but that's my opinion.  The best song on the album is decidedly Wish You Were Here, at least in my opinion.
It's just more Hey Monday, I guess.  I don't know what else to say about it.  Don't get me wrong, I love them.  But... it's kinda just more of the same.  I mean, they've grown a bit, sure.  They're definitely more popular now than they were before.  Did Glee actually do Candles?  Or did that idea disappear when he kissed Curt?  I don't actually manage to watch the show, so I wouldn't know.  Random, I know. haha. Sorry.

CD 6:
Until We Have Faces: Red

They're a Christian metal/hard rock band.  And I love them.  The first track is a little too screamo for my tastes these days, but good nonetheless.  The vocalist has a really good voice and the lyrics are really deep.  I love listening to them.  There's this emotional connection for me.  But then, I'm kind of messed up, too, sooo... anybody's guess. hahaha.  Oh well.

It's a really good album.  If you like the harder side of rock, definitely check them out.  And don't let the Christian thing scare you away.  They aren't all up in your face about loving Jesus in their music.  Trust me.  I don't listen to that much because it annoys me too.  Yes, I love Jesus, and it's great that you do too.  Get out of my face about it.  Sometimes it's cool, but... there's a certain tact that a lot of bands lack.  So I don't know.  Whatever.

CD 7:

Suddenly Yours: Allstar Weekend

They're a pop band.  Somewhat akin to The Summer Set or The Ready Set or Go Radio or... what's another present-day boy band that isn't obnoxious that I can name? hahaha.
They're good.  Really.  It's a short album, but it's good.  It's just more run-of-the-mill alternative pop, though.  I don't know what the deal is, but half the pop bands--even the alternative pop bands--all sound the same again these days.  Maybe it's because they're moderately mainstream... Well, mainstream enough to have a poster in Wal-Mart at least.  (And on my wall.  Don't look at me like that; I needed a new poster for the hole where I kept ripping the other one down in my sleep. But that's a story for another day.)
Anyway.  If you like pop and boy bands, by all means, look into them.

Extra Band 1:
Kate Voegele

This is (clearly) the album cover for her "A Fine Mess" album, which I (obviously) own.  It's a phenomenal album, and I don't use that word lightly.  I've been listening to it repeatedly in the last couple of weeks.

She's beautiful, with a beautiful voice, and really good songs.  Some of them are fun, some have some serious attitude--99 Times specifically--and some of them are really touching--Angel, Sweet Silver Lining.  I'm particularly fond of all 3 of the aforementioned plus Who You Are Without Me.  I realize that's like, half the album.  But that's what I mean when I say she's phenomenal.  I don't always list half the album as the best, after all.  And that's not saying the other half isn't good, either! Because the entire thing is repeat-worthy.  (=

DEFINITELY take the time to look her up.  Just trust me.


I was going to talk about another extra artist, but I decided that this got long enough already.  So I'm just going to stop.  And I only really had 2 books to talk about anyway, so I'll just do it later.  Probably tomorrow... Or next week... hahahaha

So that's all I've got.  Ta ta! (=

--Emily <3

Post Playlist (my music library+Youtube):
I'm playing my CDs as I download them. (=

Grab the Mic--Mindless Self Indulgence
Tight--Mindless Self Indulgence
Stay Posi--Silverstein
Battle Scars--Bayside
Bad Newz Bearz--Four Year Strong
Alejandro--All Time Low
Lights Out (Acoustic)--We Are the In Crowd
Young (Acoustic Remix)--The Summer Set
Forever and Ever--He Is We
All About Us--He Is We
Bluebird--Christina Perri
Arms--Christina Perri (the video for this song is really strange, by the way. and doesn't really make any sense. The song itself isn't that great either. It's alright.  But ya know...)
Douche Bag--Mat Musto
7 Minutes in Heaven (Atavan Halen)--Fall Out Boy
If You Only Knew--Shinedown
Best I Ever Had (Grey Sky Morning)--Vertical Horizon
Shape of My Heart--Backstreet Boys  Do not make fun of me.  I like them.  It's a connection to my childhood, too. hahahaha.  I'm not defending my musical interests from you.  I like what I like. Eat it.
Hush--Automatic Loveletter
I Heard It's the Softest Thing Ever--A Day to Remember
All of You--Vertical Horizon
Brainiac--Chevelle
Myself in Mirrors--Life on Repeat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this? Say it!