Saturday, August 6, 2011

Coninuation of Last Post

Onto literature!  Because the music post got WAY too long.


Phenomenal Girl 5: A. J. Menden


HAH! The cover makes it even worse! HAHAHAHA!!!!!


Okay.  This purchase was a complete accident.  I downloaded a preview of it onto my Kindle and was still a n00b and therefore trying to figure out how to get it off and accidentally bought it... and then got off the screen to cancel it before I could manage.
I gave my mother $5 for this purchase.  Ugh.

And oh my gosh, can you read what it says on the bottom of the cover?  "Love can be super rough" *cackle* Wtf... Romance novels. My God.



It's... It's... bloody terrible, that's what it is.  I mean, it's got some interesting plot elements, I guess, but it's like... really, guys?  Come on.


It's about superheroes--there's it's first strike, right?  And it's supposed to be a romance novel--strike two.  And we haven't even gotten into it yet.
So Lainey Livingston, aka "Phenomenal Girl 5" (there were 4 ahead of her apparently and apparently they recycle names; whatever) is trying to get into the EHJ--an acronym I can't remember something about Hands of Justice. don't ask for the E--and has to train for 2 years with "The Reincarnist," a guy that keeps coming back as a 20 year old every time he dies.  And he's been around a very long time.  I'll just bet you can see where this is going, can't you?  Yes.  She has the hots for her boss.
Only--surprise!--just as soon as they realize they have something, he dies and is reincarnated and have to start over again. Because he can't remember her and there's a major miscommunication that could've been resolved just by, ya know, communicating? And blah blah blah.
AND THEN!  Wait til you hear this.  Their romance has the power to bring about the end of the world. HAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!  It's so so painstakingly... just... I don't even know if it's cliche or what it thinks it is but it's just awful!


And I read this thing!!


Oh well.  It had some cute moments.  The 'sex scenes' were totally skipped over and alluded to so it's kinda like... meh.  I don't know.  It wasn't miserable to read the thing.  But I can assure you that I mostly only read it for the comedic value.  I wasn't hanging on "suspense" or dying to know what happened.  I already knew what was going to happen.  I called most everything a couple of chapters ahead.  It's okay.  It was entertaining nonetheless.  I don't always look for something that's gonna cause me duress while reading. hahaha


But gosh; just look at that cover, would you?  Pffhahahahaha.  I cannot believe I read that.  Tara would die laughing.  I just know it.  Clare, how are you doing?  Okay?  Good.  Just checking.


Forever: Maggie Stiefvater


This is the last book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy.  I just bought it on Wednesday.  It came out last month. Like... 2 weeks ago or something.  I haven't started it yet.


Why do I blog about stuff I don't technically know anything about?  Hahaha.  I don't know.  But I guess I'm just excited to have it.


In the first book, Sam is a werewolf but finally gets his chance to meet Grace, the girl he's loved for a very long time.  But his time is short, and so they try to find a cure.
In book two, Grace is having health issues.  She's also having family issues, because her parents decided all of a sudden to parent, never mind that they haven't been for the past several years.  Her parents really pissed me off in this book, I won't lie.  There are also more characters that were brought into this book and I'm curious to see how they play out roles in Forever.
Book two ends on a major cliff hangar, one I wasn't really surprised at her making but was still kind of annoyed by.  I hate cliff hangars.  I'll go buy the next book even if I'm not left hanging from three fingers and I can't tell if there's a ledge just below me or not.  You know?  But that's me.
Anyway.  so Forever has a lot of ground to cover.  I'm confident that it'll manage, though.  Maggie Stiefvater has swiftly become a trusted author in my repertoire and I look forward to finding more of her material. (=
But this is probably what I'll queue up next for literary experiences.  Even though... I have 90-some other books to read... oops.  My bad.  Oh well.


Paper Towns: John Green


So I bought this book... John Green intrigues me.  There's just something there.
Anyway, I bought this book on Wednesday as well and haven't started this one either.  I'll get there.
But this guy has a crush on a girl he really doesn't know (but is pretty sure he thinks he knows from the sounds of it) but admires from afar until one night she shows up and invites him on shenanigans.  Who doesn't go with the girl they're secretly in love with for shenanigans in the middle of the night!?  So that could be interesting.
Well, the rest of the novel is apparently supposed to be about how she leaves him clues to get to know her better and--surprise!--he realizes that he really doesn't know her at all and she's not who he thought she was.
We never are.
So I'm interested to see how it goes.  It feels like it'll be a little more in-depth than Looking For Alaska--which I am reading and is going very well, by the way.  But as writers gain experience and et cetera et cetera our material gets better. Go figure. haha.  So we'll see!




Okay!  So that covers music and books.  Now I suppose we're on to me.
My wisdom teeth came out on Wednesday!  (Right after I bought 11 CDs and 2 books.  Yes, really.)  All four of them.  Gosh.  I do not remember going out... at all... Which is vaguely creepy.  I don't like it.  I remember the exact moment I went out when I broke my arm, and that was over 10 years ago now.  But I don't remember going out on Wednesday.
When I woke up, a nurse was strapping cold packs onto my head.  My blood pressure reader thingy ripped itself off of my arm and then screamed because Oh no! Emily doesn't have blood pressure! but I did it just didn't know it.  and I had this overwhelming, inexplicable urge to cry.  For no reason!  The nurse said that the drugs do that to some people, and I'm taking her word for it because it makes me feel better.  But it was horrible!
I managed to contain myself most of the rest of the day, but that night, man I just couldn't help it.  And I don't mean leaking some tears cry.  I mean like CRYING crying--on the verge of sobbing crying.  It was miserable and really frustrating and I was so mad.  And I couldn't do a damn thing about it.  My face didn't even hurt yet!
But I think it was just from the anesthetic and extra drugs trying to leave my body because I was fine in the morning and haven't cried since.
They had me on some pretty heavy-duty drugs actually.  Oxycodone every 4 hours, high-dose ibuprofen and high-dose amoxicillin every 8 hours.  I quit taking the oxycodone yesterday afternoon and have been mostly fine so I probably don't need it.  I took one last night when I went to bed, though, because my jaw hurt so damn bad.
I'm okay this morning though.  At least I seem to be.  I don't know, the drugs have had some really weird side-effects.  Like, I think I'm slightly allergic to the oxycodone because it made my skin itch like MAD.  Specifically my torso area.  So that was annoying.  But that stopped too, and I'm not sure if it was the oxycodone or not because I didn't itch when I took it last night.  Who knows.

I'm supposed to go to work tomorrow.  That could be... rough.  It will probably be very rough, actually.  I'm not thrilled for it.  I wish I hadn't told him I could work on Sunday.  It was probably a really dumb idea.  Oh well.  I'm [not] sure I'll be fine.

Anyway, so that's what I've got.  I think my CD comments were a little more... unhappy than usual.  I wasn't in the best of moods last night while writing them I suppose.  But you give a good review when your mouth hurts!  And I did mean what I said.  So whatever.  They can cope.

Yawning hurts like a mofo.  No lie.  My jaw is extremely stiff and I think it pulls on the stitches a little bit.  I don't know.  But my face hurts.  Don't tell my mother.  I'll be fine.

Anyway, I think I'ma call it quits now.  So ta ta.
--Emily Renae

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this? Say it!