Friday, August 12, 2011

Paul!

 Paul!

I just watched this last night with my parents.  The unrated version.  Which really was not all that... like... I don't know, disgusting?  So I wonder what was in it that wasn't in the theatrical version.

I actually really, really enjoyed this movie.  It's a definite leave-your-brain-at-the-door, but it never breached into the realm of forget-you-ever-had-one [a brain].  This is how we classify stupid/silly movies at my house. LBAT and FYHO for short.  (No, we don't really use the acronyms; I totally just made that up on the spot.)

Anyway, it's about a couple of nerds from England (Clive and Graeme, pictured left and right in the poster) that come to America to go to Comic-Con and then go visit all the famous alien sites.  Some black mailbox, Area 51, New Mexico, et cetera.

While they're on the road, they end up getting themselves into a number of strange situations, including watching Paul (the alien, for anyone who doesn't know) crash a car in front of them.  It only gets worse from there.  And by worse, I mean more hilarious.
The FBI is after Paul--as far as you know, to capture and kill him.  This is actually why Paul is on the run; he's trying to get back home.  The thing is, he had/has someone on the inside that was/is helping him, it's just that everything's turned out to be a major fiasco.

But okay.  So that's the general plot. I won't say too much lest I drop a spoiler, and nobody likes a spoiler.  I would just really like to say that if you pay attention, there are a thousand references to Star Wars and Star Trek throughout this movie that are absolutely spectacularly funny if you understand or recognize them.  I'm pretty sure I made myself sound like a huge nerd just now by insinuating (correctly!) that I caught/recognized them, but you know what, if you haven't figured out how impossibly nerdy I am by now, you're dreadfully hopeless. hahahah.
Now I don't even want to talk about the one I was going to talk about. Sigh. Never mind.

Oh.  But the thing is.  These two guys are really good friends.  And you know how guys get when they're really close.  So while they're traveling, everyone thinks that they're 'together'.  As in gay and together.  Which they aren't.  It's kind of funny at times and a little sad at others.  Backtrack: sad that everyone just assumes that two men traveling together must be 'sleeping' together.  (Hate that term; there's never much sleeping going on... just sayin)



Anyway, that's all I have time for today for reasons I shan't specify online. (=  Because that's how I roll.

I hope a movie review was sufficient for the day.  If not... well, tough shit, eh?

Ta ta!
--Emily Renae

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this? Say it!