Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ta Da! Tuesday!

Today is not so very much ta-da factorness because I didn't bother to actually post anything yesterday and so this kind of equals fail-recompense. Sorry.  (I'm not convinced I used that word right, either.)
Anyway, since I'm in the mood and I'm in my math class and all, (not paying attention or anything because learning is all overrated and stuff after all), I'm going to cover the music I would've covered yesterday AND the literature I intend to cover today.
And since now I know that randomly people actually read this thing, maybe I'll try to be a little less weird.  Actually, no I won't, haha; what am I saying?

Music.  Let's see... Ah, yes.  Here we go:
Band: 2*Sweet
Album: Sleep Without Dreams

It was a gamble at Hot Topic this weekend.  It was $5, so I was cool with giving it a shot.  I initially thought that the band was called Sleep Without Dreams and the album 2*Sweet, but upon uploading it to my computer, it turned out I was mistaken.  Go figure; I should've known better.  I guess I just tend to go with the big words plastered across the front of an album...
Anyway, I was actually pleasantly surprised by it.  I'm not quite sure exactly how to classify it but I would try something like soft metal or softish hard rock?  That's really oxy-moronic, I know, but that's all I'm coming up with.  It's got the feel of metal music without the screech and... metal and stuff.
I don't think I know what I'm talking about. hahaha.

The other album I bought on Saturday IS:
Band: We Are the In Crowd
Album: Guarateed to Disagree

One of the songs on this album was on a compilation album that I bought one time... probably Take Action Vol. 9 but I can't really remember.  I'm pretty sure that's what it's on. haha.
Anyway, this is another female-fronted band to hit the alternative pop/rock/punk scene alongside Paramore's original fan-base, Hey Monday, Automatic Loveletter, aaaaaaand I just lost my other example. (Damn.)  They're really good, though.  They belong on the Girl Power station that I have created on Pandora for when I feel like listening to songs with attitude by female-fronted bands.
Okay, so the station isn't really "Girl Power" but mostly just because I haven't bothered to mess with it.  I've got a few stations that do that, though, so it's technically Girl Power.  Moving along.

And then!:
Transformers Score: Revenge of the Fallen
Composed by: Steve Jablonsky

1. Steve Jablonsky is probably my favorite composer right now.  I'm in love with the Transformers soundtracks, and I'm still trying to find the first one.  B&N is being really dumb and unhelpful though, so I haven't managed yet.

2. Soundtracks, with actual, legit bands and stuff (like Linkin Park, who did a lot of music for these movies) are cool and all, but I much prefer the score.

3.  This is probably my favorite venue for classical music.  I'm serious.  It's epic.  The emotions created and exploited by a good film score can make or break a movie, at least in my opinion.  The music they put in these movies keeps your blood pumping and your eyes glued to the screen, emotionally invested in the events that are going to unfold with or without your permission.  It's beautiful; it's intense; it's sexy.

Film scores are what I've taken to listening to when I get distressed or pissed off, or really just upset in general.  Listening to film scores calms me down and keeps me from blowing a fuse or crying or whatever.  I get all worked up about stuff.  Listening to classical movie music helps. At least something does.

Now I shall move on to literature, like today's blog was SUPPOSED to cover but I put off until, well, right now.

Burnt Offerings: Laurell K. Hamilton

This is the book that I mentioned last week (the week before?) that I lost and would have to rebuy... I wish that I could tell you I found it and all was well, but I didn't, so I can't. Unfortunately.  I had to buy it this weekend in Bismarck when I was there for speech competition.  Ah well.  It was pretty well worth it, I think.

Anita's life takes a few more disastrous tumbles (sorta) in this one.  I haven't finished it yet, but it's just as good as they've all been.  I won't lie; I miss Richard.  I do.  I understand the issues Anita faced with Richard and all, but... I miss him about like she does.  They're so...so...tangled in their own personal failings and issues and beliefs and emotional ghosts.
But then, Jean-Claud has his own set of background issues too.  And he and Anita aren't exactly a perfect set either.

If you're going to read the Anita Blake series, make sure you do it in order.  It's important.  I suppose you could technically get by just picking up in the middle, but you really get more out of them if you know the background previously discussed in the novels leading up to the current.  I do recommend them, though.  They're compelling reads.  I neglected the series for awhile and found myself missing Anita and her attitude. haha. I'm a geek. I know.

A Brush of Darkness: Allison Pang

I just started this book onnnnnnnnnnnnn Sunday night I think?  Monday? Sunday... Yeah, Sunday.  (Long story; I'd prefer you didn't ask. You really won't wanna know anyway. Trust me.) Anyway.

It's another fantasy/action/romance novel--look at that cover and tell me you didn't guess the last in that sequence--about some chick who has a contract with a Fae (is that still correct if you're referring to a group of them? Dunno... *shrug*) only her Fae person has been missing for about six months.  And she really doesn't know what's going on.
So this incubus shows up and wants her to help him find his sister (who just happens to be a succubus if you hadn't guessed already) but... under the table? Sorta? I'm not certain yet.  I'm only in chapter 4! Gimme a break.
She has an enchanted iPod and a (horny) unicorn staying in her underwear drawer because she apparently somehow TouchStoned with it.  (Don't ask me what a TouchStone is; it's creative license with the plot info.  Just go with it.)  Anyway. Yeah.  It's really really funny, but vaguely awkward simultaneously.

So far it's been fun.  Rather amusing and fast-paced, easy to read, and nice to look at. Straight-up, yo. *cough*
Anyway, that's what I've got.  I've been trying to read Anna Karenina at random intervals just to get it read, but I still don't like it, sooo it's tking forever.  Ya know.  (I already wrote this once but the internet at this school is freakin retarded so I'm cutting it short this time.)  So I hope that eventually I'll get it read, but at present, the 8-Ball reads "outlook not so good."  Whoot. =/

Ta ta.
--Emily Renae <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this? Say it!