Friday, July 8, 2011

Lookit Lookit

I'm back! After a month. =/  Yeah yeah, I know.  Sorry.  I just got busy doin' other stuff and never really had a whole lot worth actually babbling about.  But now I have a few things that I can mention. (=

Okay! So first up, I'ma give you a glimpse into one of my... well, you could call it an obsession if you like.

I have 318 CDs in my possession.  (Well... I'm not sure of the exact location of a couple, but that's beside the point.)  As of today, anyway.  (I bought 3 more when my mother wasn't looking.)  Now, I have not bought them all.  I've been given a number of them, won a handful, and... somehow acquired others.  (I didn't steal them.)
Anyway.  Of these 318 CDs, I have many artists that make multiple appearances.  30 Seconds to Mars, Alesana, and Anberlin all have 3 albums that have made their way into my collection; AFI and Kutless appear 6 times each (though Kutless is a cheater because in order to get one album, I had to rebuy another.  One of those 2-disc deals? I didn't want to but I wanted that dang album! hahaha).  Just to name a few.
And a lot of my music is really random, but most of it's pretty good.  I still actively listen to most of it. (=

Don't judge me.

The albums I bought today are as follows:
Forever Ended Yesterday: These Hearts

This is a "pop-core"--at least I think that's the proper term...--band from...wait for it... Fargo, North Dakota! Oh my gosh, right!?  They're signed to Victory Records with A Day to Remember (who totally rock if you didn't already know that) and Hawthorne Heights.

(By the way... all of these bands have hyperlinks to their websites.  So you have no excuse to not go check them out, unless you're A) lazy, B) lame, or C) really just don't care... in which case you probably kinda suck. (just kidding))

Anyway.  Pop-core.  Basically... power-pop/alternative pop/rock music with some screaming here and there.  That's the best way I have to describe it.  Sorry if that's not good enough.  Go listen to These Hearts if you wanna know! They're a great example.  And I really mean that.  Fo' realziez.
Oh yes. Yes, I just went there.

*Ahem* Right.  Anyway, so These Hearts are actually a Christian band, but they're not all up in yo' face about it, which is something I really like--as I'm positive I've mentioned before.  One of the tracks is titled Romans 15, so I mean, it's kind of obvious they're sending a message, but even still, it's not all "praise Jesus, or you're going to hell, you sinner!"  Which is annoying as hell; no lie.
They're more like "Accept and welcome Jesus/God into your life and good stuff happens because God is an awesome, all-powerful (omnipotent--to get some vocab in there) God and He loves us all very much.  So love the life you live because you're obviously doin' something important."  And it's not up in your face!  It's just there. (=
Who doesn't want to be told that someone big and really important totally loves you even though you're a real screw up?
Don't answer that.

Anyway.  I watched them live in Minot last fall at Rock the Leaves (our website if you're curious) and they put on a really fun show.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching them.  That being said:
The message is good.  The songs are fun and energetic.  The band is great.  Give 'em a shot; what have you got to lose?  Time?  Come on; you're here... reading this... Gimme a break. hahahahaha

 Anyway.  Moving along toooooooooooo
  All Things Bright and Beautiful: Owl City

These days, who hasn't heard of Owl City?  Adam Young is everywhere.  And with good reason, in my opinion.
The guy is cute, creative, fun, energetic, amusing, and has a great voice.  He writes feel-good songs that get stuck in the head relentlessly, but it's okay, because they're easy to bop to.
Yes, I just said bop. As in a verb. Shut up.

*cough* "What was that...?  Oh, sorry."
Anyway, the joy of Owl City lives on with this new album.  I really like it. (=  Not sure I've ever not liked anything of Adam's, though, sooooooo... ya know how it goes. hahaha

Warped Tour Compilation album 2011: Various Artists

It has Paramore on its cover! Yayy Haley Williams!
I like her, okay?  She's cute.  Kind of a girl-crush thing goin on there, but that's another story...

Anyway.  One of the things I love about Warped Tour compilation albums is that they're always totally loaded with music and are super cheap to buy.  Like, it has 50 songs on it (therefore 50 bands) and it was $7.  And I'm 100% for real.  It's great!
I <3 Hot Topic. (=

Anyway.  It's got everything from metal and screamo to power pop to acoustic stuffs (I think...) to whatever.  It's fun.  Definitely worth $7.  Even if half of the music is... well, not amazing. hahaha.  Which happens...frequently... Anyway...

Lemme think... Oh! I know who else I should talk about!
Wires...And the Concept of Breathing: A Skylit Drive

This is actually ASD's first album (well, studio album, and as far as I know--but I'm pretty sure).  I really really like them.  A lot, as a matter of fact.

I don't really know how to tell you what they sound like, to be honest.  There's some screaming, but there's a lot of singing.  There's fast stuff and kinda slow stuff.  Pretty intense guitars.  Good drums.  I really like them.  And this album in particular.
I don't have Adelphia, but I do have Identity on Fire, which is the newest album.

I would like to tell you to go look them up.  And yes, by all means, do it.  If you don't like them what are you out?  A minute and a half?  You're out more than that just by reading this thing.  It's so full of useful information, after all.  (It could be, realistically, but I digress.)

Anyway.  Yes.  A Skylit Drive.  They're interesting.  Good, though.  I rather like them.  Give 'em a shot.  What the hell?

Next up:
Vices and Virtues: Panic! At the Disco

Okay, so they've got the exclamation point back now.  I don't really get what's up with it exactly, but I don't feel so alone, because I was watching an interview with Brendon, and neither do they. hahahaha.  How's that for ya?

Anyway, this is the album that is what resulted post-splitting.  Ryan Ross took Jon Walker and went in a different direction, leaving Brendon Urie and Spencer Smith to run Panic on their own.  And quite frankly, I think it's working out a little bit better.  Don't get me wrong; I totally loved Ryan.  But... he really wanted to take Panic in a direction that I personally didn't feel Panic going.

They split amicably, as friends, before they hated each others' guts.  So at least there's no split-drama.  That's always annoying.

Anyway, the album itself is really fun.  It's got some really good tunes and the video for The Ballad of Mona Lisa is really great.  It shows a side of Brendon that I just love.

Me? Crush?  Nooooooo that's ridiculous.

*sneeze* Continuing on...
OH!!!
That's right. I just exclamation pointed times three.  Badass.  Be excited.
Dirty Work: All Time Low

I am absolutely positively 100% irrevocably in love with this band. (And Alex Gaskarth. Oh wait.)  If you haven't taken my serious advice and looked them up yet, do it.  Just bloody trust me and go listen to them.  This is album 5--including the live MTV thing--and I have them all and frequent the music on them.  All of it, not just most of it.  I don't think they have a bad song, honestly.  I'm in love with them.  Can anybody say favorite band?  Because I totally can.  (Well, one of a few, but I think this one may have hit tops.)

I've had the entire album--not just a song or two, but the entire album--stuck in my head all week.  It's been great.  I love hearing Alex Gaskarth in my head all day. hahahah.  (That was actually halfways sarcastic, but only half.)

I could really keep going on about music for quite awhile.  And then I also need to do a pretty major update on my reading material too.  I just don't have the energy to do it tonight.  So I'll hit you guys up with that... tomorrow... but that's probably a tad ambitious. hahahaha.

So, quickly before I go, life updates:
1. As of today, my face is adorned with glasses.  I shall post a picture with my literature post.
2. I dropped my phone in the sink in the mall today--full of water, of course--and now it's kinda...freaking out... I've got it in a bag of rice because I've been told it's supposed to suck out the moisture, but... I'm having some doubts.  And I'm nervous that I broke it. ='(  Here's hoping otherwise.  I'll keep you posted.
3. My brother is getting married on Saturday.  How cool is that?  I even like the girl.  That's cooler. (=  The in-laws?  Egh; not so much.  We've had issues.  But I guess ya can't have everything, huh?  (Long story; not getting into it.)
4.  I register for classes for college on the 21st.  I could post a schedule, but that might be opening myself up a little too much to creepers... stalkers... ya know. stuff like that.  So if I say anything, I'll say what I'm taking.
6. I have nothing else to add, which is why I skipped 5, because I only had four things to say and so #6 is that I have nothing to say for #5.  Is that lame?  Too overdone?  Sorry. My bad.

Anyway, it's late; I'm tired; I have a crazy weekend.  I'm out.

Ta ta!
--Emily Renae <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this? Say it!