Friday, July 29, 2011

Some Updates

Remember this book?  I talked about it a couple of weeks ago.  I'm sure it wouldn't take too much looking to find my original mention of it.

Anyway, I finished it last night.  It was really good.  Apparently there's another that I need to go find called Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie.  I'm... very curious, to say the least.

So... basically, Dierdre is a cloverhand--(clover allows humans to see Them; cloverhands don't need to assistance, they just can. make better sense?)--and has enough power that the Faerie Queen feels wholly threatened by her.  Plus, there's a lot of ugly history with Luke, the hottie that took up interest, so there's a lot of convolution there.

It never ceases to surprise me how much plot can be wrapped up in teen fiction like this.  (Truthfully I'm not sure why, because it used to be the whole of what I read and I don't read flat/empty novels.)  But there's a lot going on in these.  There's a reason it's called The Faerie Queen's Deception: There's a lot of it throughout the novel and you don't become privy to most of the truth until the end.

Something else I rather enjoyed about these novels was that Maggie divided the sections of it by calling them "Book One" etc.  and every book got a quote, or a portion of a song or something.  I like when authors do that.  It's kind of like... I don't know how to word it properly.  I just like it.  Roll with it.


I don't think I've talked about this before, because I do not remember that book cover.
Demons are a Girl's Best Friend: Linda Wisdom

Can you tell it's a romance novel? Jeez.  I don't think I'd have bought it if I'd have had to go through checkout with that cover in my stack.  I mean really.  "He's so hot, he's literally smokin'!"??  REALLY??  Jeezuz.
And for real, I did not picture either character even remotely like suggested on the cover.  I'm really glad I bought it in e-format now because I don't think I'd have enjoyed it as much with that staring up at me.
I know they say "don't judge a book by its cover" and that's DEFINITELY true in this case.  But I have a tendency to do it anyway.  This book is not as crass as the cover leads you to believe it should be.

And yeah, it's kind of a romance novel, but the sex scenes are so vague it hardly counts.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  I didn't buy it for sex scenes. (Those are added bonuses when they show up--Don't look at me like that, Clare.  Just because I can admit it...) *cough* >moving on>  It's a fantasy/action/romance, though I'll admit it's a tad lacking for action.  And the "climax" was pretty anti-climactic, I won't lie.  It was so... It was as if she was trying so hard not to be cliche, she ended up being obnoxiously cliche in a different way than what she was avoiding, if you know what I mean.
Like if option A is cliche, you go for option B.  But if option B would piss off the masses, you go for option C.  Except that option C is just as freakin cliche as option A, just in the way that anyone who doesn't take option A will take option C.   So it's like... backup cliche?  I don't know how else to explain it.  Maybe it's me. hahahaha.

Looking for Alaska: John Green

Okay, so I just started reading it (awhile ago) and I'm not very far into it.  The prose is interesting.  A little raw, but it is one of his earlier novels, (First? I think Abundance of Katherines was first, followed by this one...) so that I don't really mind.  I mean, I don't mind some not-quite-flawless prose now and again because it kind of makes me feel a little better about my own endeavors.   I find the way John writes enjoyable, but there's something there, behind the words and the intent... I can't quite put words to it yet.  But it's piquing my curiosity.  I hope I'll be able to explain what I'm getting from him by the time I'm done reading it.  I'm sure I need more time to analyze it.  And read it... hahahaha.

The plot is interesting as well.  So far I'm not entirely positive what it is exactly... except that this boy just moved to a boarding school, has already started smoking (sorta; it didn't really work out so very well his first go) and gotten totally stuck on some chick named Alaska--hence the title.  Beyond that... Not too sure.

Clare is probably snickering at me right about now because she's already read it and knows the score.  I, on the other hand, am still in the dark.  We shall see.

Moving along.

Breathe Carolina: Hell Is What You Make It

There's totally like, designs in the base colors of this album cover, but you can't see it because they're... hiding.  You can hardly see them when you're holding the CD in front of you.  So you'll just have to take my word for it. (=

I bought this CD a few days ago in Williston... removed all the plastic, read the lyrics in the booklet... and haven't managed to bother listening to it yet.  God, I feel so lazy. Or something. I don't know.  I just haven't done it yet! D=
I feel really bad now.  Like, I've been meaning to do it.  I just haven't.  You know it is sometimes?  It's been like that.  I'll probably go put it in my computer when I go up to bed (theoretically to bed) and either have already posted this or am finishing doing so.
And no, I won't come back and talk about it.  Sorry if I disappoint. Oh wellz.

I like Breathe Carolina, though, so I'm sure it'll be excellent.  So far I think their first album was my favorite, though. (Before now they had 2.  So it's not like I had much to choose from. hahaha)  The lyrics on this album are interesting, though, so I'm interested in seeing them put to music.

Other information I feel the need to share with you:
  • I finished my novel the other night!!! =D =D  That's totally exciting, in case you didn't gather that from my extraneous punctuation and double super-happy faces.  I'm jacked.  Thrilled, for that matter.  It needs a fair amount of revision, especially the first half, but still.  I just have to throw in a bunch of like, foreshadowing and allusions to things and whateverz.  Because I added stuff in the second part that I hadn't decided to do in the first part that need to appear before they did..... If you followed that sentence you're in good shape. hahaha.
  • I'm working on another story that I started eons ago.  This one is of an entirely different caliber than my novel, and only probably short-story length, but it's something I've enjoyed writing anyway.  It's kind of about people and the changes we undergo.  More specifically, how much we change when we put ourselves in a new environment for a period of time and the people we knew before aren't looking at us, holding us back from who we know we can be if we'd only free ourselves from the binds of our 'image' or reputation.  These things are mostly background themes, and only come up in passing. Mostly it's just the obvious that's present in the prose and the plot lines.
    If you read my material, you would discover that most of the themes and points that I'm attempting to make are subtle and in the background.  I don't have a tendency to say directly "this is the point I'm trying to make with this story so listen up and learn something."  That's not my style.  I just write in a manner that allows anyone who would like to get something out of it to do so.  You know?
    Sometimes you're just looking to read something without having morals/etc forced upon you and other times you just want to see things in what you're reading without the author telling you directly what they're trying to tell you.
    Reading experiences are personal and should be allowed to remain that way.  What an individual is going through in his/her life at the time they read a novel entirely shapes their interpretation of it.  The way they interpret the themes and such should be able to ride on that as well.  But that's me.
  • I have surgery on my face on the 3rd.  All 4 of my wisdom teeth are impacted and therefore require surgical extraction.  I'm... not thrilled.  I actually just had a really horrific dream about it the other night, but I'm nowhere near as nervous about it as my subconscious seems to think I am.  that doesn't make any sense.  But rationally, I know I'll be fine and I'm not really... like... worried. I guess. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not all gung-ho about letting some guy just start cutting into my mouth. But I'm not in a knot about it, either.  It's just one of those things that has to happen.  Just updating you. (=
  • There was something else that I was totally going to talk about here..... and it wasn't boys... which is something I almost always have to force myself not to talk about because I look back at it later and feel like a complete tard.  Yes, I just said tard.  Get over it.  So now I think I'm goign to be done since I'm getting all rambly again.  Oops. (=
So that's what I have for you tonight.  Hope you're all well. Stay classy. ;P

I'm out.  Ta ta.
--Emily Renae <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this? Say it!