Friday, July 8, 2011

Oh My Gosh

I'm actually posting two consecutive days in a row.  Is that weird or what? hahaha.

Okay, so yesterday I talked about a whole bunch of music.  Could've kept going, but chose not to.  The inability to keep my eyes fully open and focused may have had something to do with it. haha.
Anyway, onward!

Since yesterday was music, that means today is literature.  (By the books it's supposed to be something else but since when do I really follow my own schedule?)  I have some books I would like to talk about! (=

First up:
Before I Fall: Lauren Oliver

It's a teenage girl's version of Groundhog's Day!! You know that (I think) 90's movie with Bill Murray?  Where he wakes up the next morning and it's still the day before.  For like, a year and a half or two years or something before he finally figures it out and makes his life move forward again.

I haven't gotten terribly far into it; my Kindle tells me I am 17% done.  I had actually started reading it in Wal-Mart one time while I was waiting for my mom and it had kind of interested me.  (At least I think this is the one... O_o)  So I found it pretty cheap for Kindle and just got it.  So far she's gone through the original day and woken up with the memory of dying (not really a spoiler, actually...) but there she is--and oh yeah, it's yesterday.
Supposedly she's going to seduce her math teacher?  I suppose that may have had something to do with why I decided to actually buy this. hahahaha.  I'm so awful.  But really, when you're reliving the same day over and over and over again, what kind of weird shit would you pull just because you could?  If you know everything's going to be the same when you wake up again... You could wreak some real havoc.  It's not like it's permanent, after all.
If you killed yourself in the morning, would you have to go the entire rest of the day dead, or would you just automatically wake up again..?  Would you even know? Interesting concept to consider.

Bossypants: Tina Fey

This is not what I was expecting.  I don't really know what I was expecting, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't it. haha.

It's nonfiction, of course.  It's amusing. It's interesting.  It's pretty fun to read.  Moderately informative without being exactly educational.  So far it's been a bit of an autobiography, but she's led a rather interesting life.
For example, did you know that she got slashed in an alley on her way home from Kindergarten?  She doesn't really talk about it, but it comes up.  I found it interesting.
Supposedly she has a scar... I've never noticed it... Maybe I'm oblivious?  Or TV has some killer makeup artists. Who knows.

Regardless, it's an interesting read and probably the first nonfiction book I've bought to read voluntarily.  (I don't do nonfiction much.)  I like Tina Fey. (=

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception: Maggie Stiefvater

I should start off by saying I have developed a legitimate love for Maggie.  I've been reading her Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy (Forever comes out this month.  I'm on stand-by) and I've decided that I really like her writing style and her material.  She writes really good material.

The Mercy Fall trilogy is (semi-unfortunately) classified as "paranormal romance" in B&N (which it is, but it's sad that there has to be a whole category for it since Twilight, but that's another story) if you want to find it.  Apparently they're really popular?  News to me.

Anyway.  Lament.  Dierdre is apparently attracting Fae attention.  If you want to read it there's not a whole lot more I can say.  She's an amazing harpist/singer and I think she's pretty.  Her best friend has an unrequited  crush on her.  She's totally falling for a mysterious guy that just showed up named Luke.  And he's a hottie, no lie.  It's a good story.  A very good story.  I'm pretty hooked.
My only complaint is that it's formatted very poorly for eReaders, like my Kindle, which is what I have it on. (Obviously or I wouldn't comment.)  It's not a new thing, poor eReader formatting, but that doesn't make it any less annoying.  Overall it doesn't really affect the reading experience, though. It's just my OCD going haywire in the background periodically. hahaha.  Oopth.

Hunt the Moon: Karen Chance

*Happy sigh*  I love these novels.

The ending really pissed me off though.  It's an audible, breath-taking cliffhangar for another book which won't come out for at least a year.  Which is sad.  Understandable, but sad.  And *censored for the sake of anyone who actually wants to read this series and not have it totally spoiled because that's really obnoxious and I would hate to ruin it*.

I am going to say though that I've found myself in a spot with this newest installment.  I've almost reached a Team Pritkin vs Team Mircea--like Twilight's monumental fan-base thing?  Only I'm totally Team Both!!  Which is... probably somewhat whore-ish to suggest, but really... Dating doesn't have to be with one person at a time.  At least not until you're serious.  Casual dating with multiple people is totally okay.  I don't really consider it cheating.  Just because you go on a date with a guy doesn't mean you're "together" you know?  Our generation has gotten really weird about that.
Anyway, the love triangle.  Mircea laid claim on her in a way that makes the vampire community consider them married, only--tough luck--Cassie didn't authorize that.  So she's making him "date" her... It's... complicated.
Pritkin, on the other hand... Pritkin is a mage--and there's a pretty intense story there that I am not going to share with you--and also half-demon (which you don't know so promptly forget!) but his demon half is incubus--which you also totally don't know--and there's a long, interesting back story on all of this stuff but the point is that his relationship with Cassie is extremely convoluted.  There... is only sort of a relationship.  He's her personal trainer slash body guard slash... et cetera.  But there's always been this crazy romantic tension between them that's been mostly untouched.  Mostly.
But I like Pritkin!  For all he's infuriating, I really really like the guy.  I don't know.  It's complicated.  I'm waiting for the next book to see where things end up.

I could go on--for a very long time, actually--but I think I'll stop for now.  I'm at my great-aunt's place with a bunch of people and sitting at a computer is moderately anti-social.  So that's all you get for now.
Hey. Chill. I posted yesterday!  You're already spoiled.

Anyway, I'm out.

Ta ta!
--Emily Renae <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this? Say it!