Monday, September 7, 2009

Music Monday

So I realize that I just posted my introduction like, 30 seconds ago, but it's Monday. And I like talking about music. So I'm gonna. And you can't stop me. (But you can go away and quit reading, but don't let me give you any ideas....)

So. AFI is one of my very favoritest bands ever. They started in California when they were in high school, but since then, they've put out 7 studio albums [plus some EPs], with the 8th coming out in just a couple of weeks. I said it once already, but I'll say it again, I'm so excited, I just can't stand it. I personally own 5 of these, and once Crash Love comes out, that number will increase to 6...unless I find another before then.

Jade Puget and Davey Havok of AFI came together a few years ago and put together Blaqk Audio, who, after a few years of work, put out Cex Cells in 2007. They're electronica, and really different from anything that AFI has ever been, which is good, because otherwise it'd have been disappointing. But that's me. (By the way, I own this CD, too.)

All Time Low is another favorite. They've got 3 studio albums, I believe, and I have 2 of them. I'm only missing their first, with Circles and Coffee Shop Soundtrack on it. I forget the name just now, and I'm too lazy to go look it up. Maybe later. I've probably got it written down, anyway.

I get Alternative Press magazine, which is the source for a lot of bands I end up getting into anymore. If they're featured in AP, I have the tendency to look them up online. If I like them, they get added to my "I want this CD!" list. If I don't, I cross them off and move on to the next. Consequently, I have an "I want" list a few hundred disks long...haha...and an "I Own" list nearing 200.

As far as genres go, I mentioned this a little before, but basically, I don't care what genre it is so long as it's good. I like strong, moving beats, but I also like slow music. Rock, Alternative, Powerpop, electronica, techno, metal, hardcore, punk, you name it. And Christian. With screamo, I used to like it a lot, but lately, I only like it if it's really good, and I have to be in the mood for it. I don't know how to define "good screamo" though. It's kind of an opinion thing. You either like it or you don't, right? Precisely. Such is the way of music. As far as Christian goes, I like bands like Kutless, Reliant K, Flyleaf, Skillet, etc. The edgier, more rocked-up Christian music...and often times, the Christian music that isn't in-your-face, God-God-God. I find preachy music--of any type--to be obnoxious. But a good song about God? Sure, why not.

Along with music, I love live music. I love to go to shows, and I love to support local bands. There are a few in the Minot area that I know of and have seen, like Stay Out Late, Diabolic Octopus, The Earth and Everything In It [who are on a perhaps permanent hiatus with one member in Minneapolis for college], and......hmm....Agony of Apathy, but they're from Williston... I'm trying to think of more, but I'm drawing blank. There's a chick who does acoustic stuff, but I can't remember her name, and I guess, to be honest, she's only okay. And then there's Merrick, but to be quite honest, they suck really bad. (Sorry guys...) Oh, and there's Galaxies, but as far as I know, they haven't recorded anything or done shirts or anything, so, I don't know how serious or side-projecty that one is. Up in the air.
I don't get to go to a lot of shows, because my mom's kind of against the whole idea... I don't really know why, but unfortunately, I don't get the option either way. Most of the concerts I get to go to end up being Christian bands because the people I get rides from refuse to listen to anything but Christian music...which, to be quite honest, is rather frustrating. I got the girl's dad into Shinedown (because someone told me they were Christian when they introduced me to them and I hadn't looked yet to find out that they weren't) and then he got pissed when he found out they weren't Christian and now he's decided that he can't like them because they're not. It's like, come on, get a life. There is such a thing as Christian-friendly secular music, all right? Get over yourself. I don't know. Whatever.
Anyway......so yeah...... As far as albums coming out in the near future that I know of and am pretty excited for are Saosin's new album in October, Paramore's on the 29th, AFI's on the 29th, Jeffree Star's on Wednesday, and.......I know there are more, but I don't have that document with me, and I'm too lazy to go to the other computer and look. So there.

So that pretty well ends Music Monday....
Meet you tomorrow! (Different time, same place.) =)

Until next time, with love,
--Emily
~~xoxo~~


blog playlist, courtesy of www.jango.com:
Live This Down--Papa Roach
Moon Mad--The Psychedelic Ensemble (only about a third of it; I skipped wiht 6:30 left)
Summer Shudder--AFI
Year Zero--30 Seconds to Mars
Prayer of the Refugee--Rise Against
Our Time is Now--Story of the Year (was okay, as screamo goes)
Walk Away (Maybe)--Good Charlotte
Faking My Own Suicide--Reliant K
Hurt--Thousand Foot Krutch
Nothing Left to Show--Hawk Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this? Say it!