Thursday, September 10, 2009

Taste-Test Thursday...Oh, Wait...

Ah, the lovely subject of food!  I love food.  Food and I are quite good friends, as a matter of fact.  (Perhaps too good, if I'm wholly honest...)

My best friend just mailed me a letter, in which she had a pretty good food story.  Well, it was amusing, at any rate.  So they just moved into this apartment in Bloomington, right?  And the last tenents weren't very tidy--we'll put it that way--so they bought stuff and cleaned the counters and stuff, right?  Well, then it was late and they were hungry.  So her mom went to get food and she stayed at the apartment, and by the time her mom got back, it was really late, so they only ate the cheese and crackers.  So then her mom says: "Does something taste like soap?"  I forgot what she said but basically she was too tired to notice or care.  Her mom taste tested the cheese, and then the crackers...it was the crackers.
The crackers had absorbed the soap off of the counter from when they cleaned it--because she apparently forgot to get the natural cleaner or something--and so the crackers tasted like soap.  Consequently, Tara had a tummy-ache for a little while the next day.  Oops.

Anyway, I'm thinking I'm going to change my mind about Taste-Test Thursday.  I can't talk about food that much...unless I shared a recipe with you once a week...but what am I?  Rachael Ray?  Psh, no.  Screw that.

ATTENTION: Taste-Test Thursday is now obsolete!  Thursdays are now dedicated to... umm....umm... writing?  Sure.  I'll talk about one story that I'm writing a week.  We'll need to come up with a new name then, but this will work.

I'll start with "The Last Fortnight."  It's one I've been working on for quite a long time, just not....very actively.  Actually, it's been really inactive most of the time.  But I'm thinking about it right now because I want to write more in it.  It's about this girl who, at barely 18, leaves home (without verbally telling her dad or step-mom, but leaving a few different notes around) with intentions of getting the hell out.  She ends up with a band, The Last Fortnight, on their tour across the country, ending up being their interim manager while their regular manager is at home to take care of his kid--I don't remember the specific reason, but it was not good, anyway--and then later becomes their keyboardist.  Camden (as she's chosen to go by, ditching her real name for an alias) was already a really good musician; she wrote songs on a dime and just improved on the piano when she was bored.  This really impressed them, and thus they pressured her into it, and it ended up being the best thing she could've ever done.
At the same time as all of this, Camden's best friend, Quinn--whom she left behind when she took off--met another band called Death Certificate (although that's liable to change...) and goes on tour with them, because the vocalist's fiancee and guitarist ask her to.  They're a Christian band, and so bus dynamics are a little bit different, and religion comes into play a bit, but it's not obnoxious.  (Don't worry; I find pushy religious people annoying as hell.  I've found God; I don't need Him shoved in my face, thanks.)  About halfway through their tour, she gets engaged to the guitarist, and I'm thinking that I might have her and the vocalist have a double wedding....but I've never seen how that works, so I probably won't...  But it's a thought, anyway.
Toward the end, Camden does go back home, and she talks to her dad--and to be honest, I'm not positive how that exchange is going to go, because she and her step-mom hate each other--and meet up with Quinn, because she'd gotten a new cell phone halfway through the tour and gotten in contact with her.  But yeah... I'm still on the rocks about a lot of plot elements in this one, so...we'll see what happens.  [=

So that wraps up "Taste-Test Thursday" and the new "Storytime Thursday."  Shit, I'm not fricken calling it that.  How retarded?  Whatever.  I'll have a title by next week; promise.

Until next time, with love,
--Emily
~~xoxo~~




Playlist created midway through post, provided by personal library and www.purevolume.com:
A Letter from Janelle [Acoustic]--Chiodos
Smooth [Cover]--Escape the Fate
6 Months--Hey Monday
Best Friends Can Last Forever--Tara Marmon
Keep the Change, You Filthy Animal--All Time Low
Step Right Up--The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Emotion--Breathe Electric
What Would You Say? [ft. Tim Higginson]--Breathe Electric
Think Of You Later (Empty Room)--Every Avenue
A Beautiful Goodbye--Watchout! There's Ghosts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this? Say it!