Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Reading Wednesday

So....I totally missed yesterday.  Oops.  But I had work til 10 and when I got home, I just really didn't feel like bothering....so sorry. My bad.  Oh well, though. You'll go a week without a public figure, won't you?  I'm sure you'll make it.

So I'm only going to tell you about "How I Became Stupid" by Martin Page this week, because I told you about the other two I'm reading last week.  I could bring in "A Kiss of Life" but I think I'll save it until I'm back into it, okay?  Okay.

So...so far, Antoine has decided that intelligence is a disease, and he's very much afflicted.  So first he decides he's going to be an alcoholic, only a physiological difficulty makes that impossible.  (He got alcohol poisoning after half a glass of beer.  Keep in mind this is a book, although I'm sure it's possible.)  So then he decides he's going to commit suicide, because he figures he'd much rather be dead than alive...Only he goes to a class on how to do it, and at the conclusion of the class, he decides that, though he's not so enthused about being alive, he doesn't wish to be dead, either...
So finally, he arrives at the conclusion that he wishes to be stupid.  Because, quote: "ignorance is bliss."  So his doctor (funny story there, actually) gives him a prescription for "Happyzac"--real? fictional?--which is supposed to be some kind of stupidifying anti-depressant.  I'm still working on the results with this, but his friends are all concerned for him.  I'm not so sure about this guy, myself...  But I've only got a few dozen pages left to go--it's a short book--so I'll have it finished by the due date, at least.  [=  And then I'll have read another book that Harri has, and my life shall be one step closer to complete.  Haha, I'm kidding.

But that was awfully short....I'm tempted to bring up A Kiss of Life... perhaps I'll just recommend reading Generation Dead and leave you with that, hm?  Interesting book.  My friend had a hard time following it, but I didn't.  It's pretty intense, though.  Good read, however; definitely a good read.  I enjoyed it.  Thoroughly.  I kind of predicted the ending, in a way, but... oh well.  You're so wrapped up in what's happening per paragraph you don't have time to sweat predictability--which there isn't much of, really.  So yeah.


Until next time, with love,
--Emily
~xoxo~

(No playlist, because I wrote this in bed and in like, 20 minutes tops.  So there.  Ha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say about this? Say it!